Skip to main content

Friday Favorites

This has been a slow week. I have hit exhausted times 100 this week. Not sure why... other than that whole pregnancy/chasing around the most active toddler I have ever met, thing. But I couldn't miss our normal Friday Favorites post.

Friday night (after my blog was posted) was the first Dolphins preseason game. We went up to Froggers to watch part of the game. Preseason means we really only care about the first few plays usually. Regardless, it was the perfect time to get Kenzie dressed up in her Dolphins jersey and eat food that is not good for us while cheering on the Dolphins with all the football season regulars at Froggers. It's like Cheers there. Everybody knows your name. We love the atmosphere and Kenzie is always a hit. This year was no different. When the Dolphins scored on their opening drive and Kenzie yelled "Touchdown" complete with her hands in the air signaling the touchdown then she yelled and clapped... everyone around us thought it was great. She is her Daddy's little football buddy for sure. This year our goal is to teach her how to signal first down. As an aside... another Friday Favorite for me is also that her hair is at the perfect stage to put a little bow in it. The curls are just so adorable. I am LOVING this new hair style we have going. We just have to watch her because removing the bow is sometimes more fun than having people comment how adorable it is.


Speaking of Froggers... fried pickles. Yum! I was totally able to get my fried pickles. Finally. I was craving them for a week. Totally worth the wait. They were so good. Hmmmm... maybe we can get some more this weekend. The Dolphins do play again tomorrow night after all. =)


We had the best dinner Sunday night. We like to reserve Sunday nights for grilling. The joy of living in Florida is that we can grill pretty much all year round. We went after church on Sunday to Publix to pick out something to grill. Our initial plan was to just do barbecue chicken. Then, once we got into the store we found out that NY Strips were on sale. Score! So we picked up a package of those and some fresh shrimp. I marinated the shrimp in some concoction of spices I couldn't even tell you about now. I tend to just make up junk when I marinade. Then we grilled those along with the steaks (which just had some garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce). We had baked zucchini with Parmesan cheese and mashed sweet potatoes with it. It was so good. To our surprise... Kenzie even ate quite a bit of my steak! I can't believe my kid refuses most meat, poultry, etc. but loves fish and apparently steak. She is her father's daughter. That is for sure.


This past weekend we also started painting Will's room. The light blue coat is on and Momma comes back in to town tonight so we can finish up with the vertical stripes on the one wall. I can't wait! I'm choosing to only share these two photos at this point because I am planning a larger "Will's Room" post when we get more decorating done. =)


We decided that instead of putting Will's full name (William) on the wall, we are going with larger letters, only doing "Will" and I made letters to resemble different sports balls. His mobile has four different balls. Perfect for a name with 4 letters. No one has any idea how proud of myself I am. I think it cost me a total of $20 to make my own letters. I could have ordered them off Etsy for over $60. So, score 1 for Mommy on saving that cash! Score 2 that I did it all myself. Maybe I should practice more and open my own Etsy store. Haha!



Have I mentioned that I LOVE just sitting and watching Kenzie play sometimes. She is at the age where she doesn't always need attention and can play on her own. To watch her little mind work is really a cool thing. She spent quite a bit of time on Wednesday building a tower. Her look of concentration and determination reminded me of what I look like when I am working intently on something. She was focused, driven... and mysteriously quiet. I actually really enjoyed the quiet time, too. It doesn't happen very often.


And our final Friday Favorite? This is the second week in a row that Steven has worked from home. Yes, he is still working but it is so nice to have him here should I need him for anything. Plus, without any drive time he gets off work much earlier. He has himself set up in Will's room for the second week in a row. I figure that works until the point that Will has to start taking naps in his own room. Until then, we will try to keep Steven home as often as possible of Fridays.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Doc is In!

Today we celebrated THREE with Kenzie! We had her official 3rd birthday party. She doesn't actually turn 3 until Thursday, but her birthday today with friends and family was a definite success. The most adorable Doc there is I admit, I'm a bit crazy. I start planning birthday parties months in advance. I have been planning Will's first for months already and his isn't for another 2 1/2 months. Anyway, Kenzie and I talked about it a few months ago and she elected to choose a Doc McStuffins themed birthday party this year. I will post another day about the decorations that I created for this party, but for now... a photo dump in honor of our little Doc turning 3. Our spread was pretty yummy, if I do say so myself. Everything from "Stuffy's Dragon Tails" (fruit kabobs) to "Squeakers Fishy Friends" (goldfish) and "An Apple a Day Keeps the Doc Away" (applesauce packets and cups). Will spent most of his tim...

New State Parks, Beaches, Movies, and Friend Time

Another weekend has been put in the books for the Young Household. This weekend was actually a bit less crazy than some of our others, I think but still filled with fun and some new things. We started Friday afternoon when Steven was able to come home an hour or so early. We started getting ready for our big Saturday plans and then made pizza and sat down to watch a movie. We love this Friday tradition. We try to do it at least a couple times a month. We used to order pizza but when we started watching our finances closer, we determined that it was better for us to make pizza either homemade or frozen (and the kids like frozen pizza as much as pizza from a restaurant right now so we will continue to capitalize on that for a while... Will loves homemade but Kenzie is in a current anti-homemade stage because she is weird). Anyway, we made a frozen pizza and some cheesy bread. Then we sat down together to watch Inside Out. We picked it up at the library last week and never had a chance ...

Young Summer of Fun - Bucket List Update (Week 12)

Honestly, I debated doing a weekly update for this week because we didn't actually check anything off the summer bucket list... but decided to go ahead and do it because we did do some fun stuff. Plus, there are only two more weeks of this (including this one) so anyone that is actually interested can read it if they want. =) This week was fairly low key. Steven was dealing with his shingles diagnosis so we didn't do anything too crazy because the main reason he likely came down with it was because he is so run down and stressed out. Kenzie had school all week. Well, except Monday but on Monday's, we dance. She did great at dance by the way! She goes to dance each week and then spends the next 6 days asking us if she has dance. We made her a calendar for the fridge that lists her activities and dance is on it. We cross off each day so she can count down to dance. Doesn't matter. She still asks. Wishful thinking, I guess. And she is still rocking school. She is doing...