Skip to main content

Preschool Done.... One Step Closer to MIT


So, here it is. The end of "preschool." Note: "Preschool" and "VPK" are not used interchangeably for the purpose of our discussion. In the sense of the word, Kenzie is done with "preschool" and next year will be in "VPK". Eek! That's not allowed. Kenzie's first official year in school is now done. She is one year older, one year wiser, one year more stubborn. It's crazy for us to think back that just a few short months ago we were going to her Meet the Teacher day and we were both having some major anxiety about our baby going to school. I remember the first day of school plain as day. I thought she might have some apprehension. Nope. None. I probably shouldn't have been surprised. Kenzie went in like she owned the place. There was a day that her teacher mentioned that Kenzie was one of the quiet ones in the class and rarely spoke. I'm still not sure that she was thinking of my Kenzie. Maybe I had been dropping off a pod person.

Kenzie loves school. She is always (with the exception of 2 instances I can think of specifically) excited to go to school and learn new things. She loves being with her friends and has a few people that she talks about quite a lot. She has come such a long way in a year. She can spell her name (Kenzie... not Mackenzie) for you. She can write her name using a guide and can write a K with no help. She is working on E. She can count to 29 only skipping 14 (ever. single. time.) She loves to count backwards from 10 (and has almost taught her brother to do the same though he doesn't understand what he is doing but just loves the part when they shout "blast off!" when they reach 0.) Her coloring skills have gotten so much better. She can cut with scissors. She can tell you numerous Bible stories and knows more catchy songs than I can name. She has learned numerous games that she is constantly asking to play with Will and us. She has blossomed into a great student and continues to be one of the most vibrant kids we have ever met.


One year down, many more to go, but one day we will be watching this little girl walk across a stage to receive a diploma. One day we will likely watch her receive a degree. If she keeps up with her obsession with being just like Daddy, we might have an engineer one day. Who knows? Maybe one day she will call us to tell us that she passed the Professional Engineer exam. All I know is that many years from now when she is successful in whatever she chooses to do, I am going to remember this little girl that stole our hearts in July 2012 and walked into her school her first day of preschool like she was on top of the world... and never looked back. This kid is certainly going places. I can't wait to see where they will be.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Young Summer of Fun - Bucket List Update (Week 12)

Honestly, I debated doing a weekly update for this week because we didn't actually check anything off the summer bucket list... but decided to go ahead and do it because we did do some fun stuff. Plus, there are only two more weeks of this (including this one) so anyone that is actually interested can read it if they want. =) This week was fairly low key. Steven was dealing with his shingles diagnosis so we didn't do anything too crazy because the main reason he likely came down with it was because he is so run down and stressed out. Kenzie had school all week. Well, except Monday but on Monday's, we dance. She did great at dance by the way! She goes to dance each week and then spends the next 6 days asking us if she has dance. We made her a calendar for the fridge that lists her activities and dance is on it. We cross off each day so she can count down to dance. Doesn't matter. She still asks. Wishful thinking, I guess. And she is still rocking school. She is doing...

Friday Favorites: Summer Bucket List Edition

This week's Friday Favorite isn't a product we love but rather our long anticipated (in our family) Summer Bucket List. This is something we have been doing for about 3 years running now. We sometimes keep a running bucket list of sorts for fall and spring too. We also always have an advent calendar of activities for the month of December. I think the summer list is my favorite though. Summer is a favorite season around this house. It means pool time, beach time, and a lot of other fun things that happen like Vacation Bible School and swimming lessons. This year we have a few new things and some oldie but goodies. Technically we have quite a bit of time until summer officially begins, but we are so excited for summer that we decided to make the list now. We also decide to start summer post Memorial Day so our activities will begin in about 6 weeks. We are super excited to have a few new things this year as well as keeping a couple of things that we didn't get around to ...

That's a Wrap on Summer Swimming Lessons

And with today's lesson, the kids have both officially finished swimming lessons for the summer. Will has actually been done for a while as he finished his 10 lessons prior to the break we took so the instructor could go on vacation. You can read about him HERE if you haven't yet and would like to. Today though, wrapped up Kenzie's 20th and final lesson of the summer. I wasn't going to recap her lessons this year, but I am so very proud of her and I just couldn't resist. Mainly so I could get some cute pictures and videos in there showing her amazing progress. Back at the beginning of the summer, Steven and I thought long and hard about how we wanted to go about lessons for Kenzie this year. Last year she did... okay. Just okay. She made a lot of progress, but we weren't sure about how she was going to do this year due to how much she cried last year. She didn't cry the entire time, but it was a lot and we wondered if it was too much for her to do...