Skip to main content

Tricks and Treats




This Halloween has been quite the whirlwind. Last week I attended the annual FASP conference held here in Orlando. That meant that while I was in town, I wasn't home all day and we were trying to get everything ready for the weekend late at night (while I also worked on some work related things) so we have been trying to get everything together with limited time.

Part of the reason this holiday was so rushed for us is that we participated in our church's trunk or treat for the first time. This is the first time we signed up for a trunk and we had a blast putting it all together, but it was a good amount of work.


Steven's parents were in town all week watching the kiddos so I could attend the conference.  Steven dropped them off at a hotel near the airport last night so they could fly to Atlanta today. Today, Nana (my mom) came into town to help us out with Halloween. We needed help watching the kiddos while we set up (and then participated) in the trunk or treat. Plus, my mom really likes to come visit on Halloween and has been here every year for the last three years.

This morning we started by carving our pumpkin. Kenzie amazed both of us. We asked her if she wanted to carve a pumpkin and she said, "Yeah! Let's give it a face. Then it is a jack-o-lantern and we put a candle in it!" Um, okay. We didn't even know that she knew about all of that. Will and her both were sort of disgusted by the pumpkin guts, but both liked the process. Kenzie LOVED the pumpkin when it was all done.







When Momma got into town earlier, we immediately set to getting Kenzie's costume finalized. I made this tutu months ago and waited until today to trim it down in case she hit a crazy growth spurt. It worked out well to wait and we wanted to make sure to get some pictures of her before she got all crazy and possibly messed it up. Plus, since I haven't mentioned yet... Kenzie was running a fever last night and still isn't 100% so we had to make our move before she felt sick and became a typical 3-year-old not wanting to participate in anything we wanted. Her costume was amazing! I think we outdid ourselves again this year. These tutus are just getting bigger. Months ago, Kenzie decided she wanted to be Rapunzel but decided that instead of wearing her regular dress-up, she wanted me to make a tutu. She also requested that it touch the floor. Okay, kid. Gotcha covered. Here is her final product. Grandma (Steven's mom) helped by sewing the shirt and Nana (my mom) found the perfect Rapunzel wig. The crown and wand are from Aunt Juju, Uncle E, and Baby Evie. They were part of her birthday present. So, it was a family affair. =)

 

We went to lunch and then came home to test out Will's costume. This year we had other plans, but they would have involved him walking so they will wait until next year. We ended up going with Clark Kent/Superman (and he was complimented numerous times on being the cutest Clark Kent ever). Both kids were amazing adorable this year.




After all that, it was time to move on to the trunk or treat set up. We went with a Dolphins themed trunk this year (any doubts?) We got quite a few compliments... and a few apologies. Being a Dolphins fan is hard. Nana brought the kids up to the trunk or treat when it started and Kenzie loved going down the blow up slide bounce house thing. We handed out a TON of candy at the trunk or treat. Seriously. We went through most of what we brought which included close to 1000 pieces of candy. The kids (ours included) loved it though. The best part for the kids? Kenzie loved handing out candy. She told all the kids that she loved their costumes. Will enjoyed chilling with his Daddy at the trunk. Super fun for all of us.









After the trunk or treat was over, we went home, had some dinner and got all ready to trick or treat in the neighborhood. Unfortunately, Kenzie wasn't feeling well so thank goodness we have quite the wardrobe of dress up. Aunt Juju, Uncle E, and Baby Evie's birthday gift came to the rescue. We ended up using her normal Rapunzel dress up to trick or treat. That's having young children for you. Have to be ready for anything and adapt. She LOVED trick or treating though. Some of the high points... Kenzie says "Trick or treat" and "Thank you" to EVERY house she goes up to. If anyone asked if she wanted more candy, she would tell them that she would like a piece for "my brudder, William." So, so sweet.



Unfortunately, while going house to house, Kenzie had a run in with a gargoyle statue near someone's sidewalk. She tripped over it, hit her head, and scraped it up. I moved the gargoyle into the yard and told the person at the house that I moved it a bit. She was very concerned about Kenzie's head and even offered her extra candy. Oh well. It happens. She was fine once she recovered. We hit up a few more houses and then came home to hand out candy. Again, Kenzie's favorite thing to do. She told almost every kid that she liked their costumes. She even told a few specifically that she liked their pirate, Minnie Mouse, skeleton, etc. She also attempted to school a couple kids in the art of trick or treating. "You have to say trick or treat." "You have to say thank you." LOL I will say that I am ridiculously amazed at the overall amount of politeness that kids today have. 95% of them said thank you or Happy Halloween as they left. Many told Kenzie specifically thank you when she gave them candy. A ton told her that she looked pretty in her costume. It was quite refreshing.

We handed out candy for a while after putting Will to bed and eventually turned off the light because we ran out of candy. We probably had about 100 kids (at least.)

And... another Halloween in the books. Now, to start thinking about next year.

Happy Halloween!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Favorites: Summer Bucket List Edition

This week's Friday Favorite isn't a product we love but rather our long anticipated (in our family) Summer Bucket List. This is something we have been doing for about 3 years running now. We sometimes keep a running bucket list of sorts for fall and spring too. We also always have an advent calendar of activities for the month of December. I think the summer list is my favorite though. Summer is a favorite season around this house. It means pool time, beach time, and a lot of other fun things that happen like Vacation Bible School and swimming lessons. This year we have a few new things and some oldie but goodies. Technically we have quite a bit of time until summer officially begins, but we are so excited for summer that we decided to make the list now. We also decide to start summer post Memorial Day so our activities will begin in about 6 weeks. We are super excited to have a few new things this year as well as keeping a couple of things that we didn't get around to ...

20 Weeks Pregnant... with WILL (Baby #2)

Baby’s Size: Banana (about 10 inches from head to heel… measurements change this week from being “head to rump” and will switch to “head to heel”… hence the seemingly massive difference between a Mango and a banana) How far along:  20 Weeks Total weight gain: Eh. I don’t want to talk about it. I can’t lie though.  I've  told myself I will remain completely honest with all this. 7 lbs. That’s right. I gained around 2.5 or so pounds this week. Not really within my 1 pound a week idea. However, this is what I think happened/will happen. I was super stressed about the gender reveal this last weekend. Unnecessary… but I was. When I get stressed, I eat. To top it off, what we had in the house was not good for you because it was “tailgate” party food. Then, because we had company and the party going on we didn’t get out to walk or exercise in any way. I am still actually sitting right smack dab in the middle of where I should be weight gain wise this far in to th...

Our Littlest Fish

It's official! Will has finished year 1 of his swimming lessons! It's sort of funny to me that it is the second week of June and we are already done with lessons for one of the kids. Gotta love living in Florida. =) (Aside: Kenzie will finish out this week and then have a few more lessons in mid-July. Our swim teacher is taking about a month off to celebrate some big birthdays with her family so we will resume Kenzie's lessons when she returns.) Anyway, Will is now officially a graduate of his first year of Red Cross Lessons. He only did the 10 this year that our amazing swim teacher gifted to him but I am so grateful that she did that. He did so well. We initially were holding off not only for monetary reasons but also because we were worried about how he would take to it. Will is overly attached to me (but not as bad as it was a few months ago) but we also had visions of Kenzie last year not always enjoying it. Watching Sissy's Lesson and waiting for Will's ...