Skip to main content

Life as a Preschool Mom


We are now about one month into our life as a family with a true preschooler. Let me tell you, Kenzie LOVES every minute of school. She was born to do this. (Definitely my kid... haha!)

Every Tuesday or Thursday when she gets up and I tell her that she has school that day, she gets so excited. She runs into her classroom barely stopping to give me a hug or kiss on the way. When I pick her up, she tells me all about her day in only the way that a 3-year-old could. I hear all about playing outside, drawing, centers, etc... but very little about actual learning despite the fact that if I ask her what she read or learned, she can usually tell me. As any normal preschooler would though, she learns through play so I am okay with her telling me all about the fun play activities she does. She has done show and tell, gone to chapel, and done gym buddies. All of which she loves.

While all that is going on though, my "schedule" has altered quite a lot. The first week of school I really, really missed having Kenzie around. It was just so QUIET with one child in the house. Especially one that isn't even a year old yet. Naptimes were weird. I almost don't remember this feeling at this point. When Will is awake, it is much calmer around the house. Now that we are a few weeks in, Will and I are finding our groove and learning how to get a lot of things done while we are just two instead of three.

Our Tuesday/Thursday schedule has become one of my favorites. Kenzie had so much time one-on-one with me and I am so happy that now Will gets some of the same attention.

We usually are awake between 7 and 7:30. We all eat breakfast and then everyone gets dressed. Kenzie and Will play for just a bit before we leave the house in time to drop Kenzie off by 9. Once we drop Kenzie off, Will and I will either run a quick errand if it is close by (for instance, Publix is on the way home so we can do that together and be home pretty quickly) or we will go home and play for a while. Will naps around 10. I am finding that on days that Kenzie isn't home, typically Will naps around 1.5 hours. It isn't super quiet in the house because I'm still moving around (and finally getting back into a cleaning schedule... which I swear by... rather than doing a lot of cleaning all day one day of the week), but it is worlds quieter without Kenzie running amuck. Those naps occur about 75% of the time so I am thankful for that now. I still miss Kenzie, but I love getting things done in a timely manner again. Once Will wakes up, we usually eat lunch and then either play or run an errand if we have one before going to get Kenzie by 1:30. Once we pick up Kenzie, we come home for nap/rest time. Will's second nap is around 2 or 2:30 and Kenzie usually just relaxes and watches TV for a bit while Will naps. Once he is awake we play until Steven gets home from work. I am working on finding the right balance of time to get back into more and more cooking. I'm still finding my groove with that. Some days are easier than others. If I can prep dinner while Will is napping, I can usually cook just about anything... but if I can't get that done then we have a few more issues. Watching two children and trying to cook is still a bit demanding for me.

I know it's funny. There are parents out there with 2 or more kids that probably laugh at me when I say that I am still working on figuring all this timing out and learning how to have two little ones. It I what it is though. Will is almost a year old and I am STILL finding my way at times. Variations of normal, I guess.

This transition into Kenzie going to school has been a pretty good one though. Above all, Steven and I are just stoked that she loves school so much. We worried that she might be shy. We worried that she might not like it. We should have known better. This girl is smart. She loves to learn. She loves people. She is definitely a social butterfly. She is blossoming and we are loving every minute of it.

Oh.... and before I end this, I HAVE to share with you one of our favorite things she has learned so far in school. This seriously made both of us smile so big and now we try to get her to do it before meals whenever possible.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New State Parks, Beaches, Movies, and Friend Time

Another weekend has been put in the books for the Young Household. This weekend was actually a bit less crazy than some of our others, I think but still filled with fun and some new things. We started Friday afternoon when Steven was able to come home an hour or so early. We started getting ready for our big Saturday plans and then made pizza and sat down to watch a movie. We love this Friday tradition. We try to do it at least a couple times a month. We used to order pizza but when we started watching our finances closer, we determined that it was better for us to make pizza either homemade or frozen (and the kids like frozen pizza as much as pizza from a restaurant right now so we will continue to capitalize on that for a while... Will loves homemade but Kenzie is in a current anti-homemade stage because she is weird). Anyway, we made a frozen pizza and some cheesy bread. Then we sat down together to watch Inside Out. We picked it up at the library last week and never had a chance ...

Young Summer of Fun - Bucket List Update (Week 12)

Honestly, I debated doing a weekly update for this week because we didn't actually check anything off the summer bucket list... but decided to go ahead and do it because we did do some fun stuff. Plus, there are only two more weeks of this (including this one) so anyone that is actually interested can read it if they want. =) This week was fairly low key. Steven was dealing with his shingles diagnosis so we didn't do anything too crazy because the main reason he likely came down with it was because he is so run down and stressed out. Kenzie had school all week. Well, except Monday but on Monday's, we dance. She did great at dance by the way! She goes to dance each week and then spends the next 6 days asking us if she has dance. We made her a calendar for the fridge that lists her activities and dance is on it. We cross off each day so she can count down to dance. Doesn't matter. She still asks. Wishful thinking, I guess. And she is still rocking school. She is doing...

The Doc is In!

Today we celebrated THREE with Kenzie! We had her official 3rd birthday party. She doesn't actually turn 3 until Thursday, but her birthday today with friends and family was a definite success. The most adorable Doc there is I admit, I'm a bit crazy. I start planning birthday parties months in advance. I have been planning Will's first for months already and his isn't for another 2 1/2 months. Anyway, Kenzie and I talked about it a few months ago and she elected to choose a Doc McStuffins themed birthday party this year. I will post another day about the decorations that I created for this party, but for now... a photo dump in honor of our little Doc turning 3. Our spread was pretty yummy, if I do say so myself. Everything from "Stuffy's Dragon Tails" (fruit kabobs) to "Squeakers Fishy Friends" (goldfish) and "An Apple a Day Keeps the Doc Away" (applesauce packets and cups). Will spent most of his tim...