Skip to main content

To Run or Not to Run

Frustrated. That is literally the best word to describe how I feel about running right now. It's been about 3 months since I hurt my heel. What I thought initially was nothing more than plantar fasciatis (hereafter referred to as PF because I can never spell it right when I write it all out), I now think is more than likely a stress fracture (or something else...) in my heel. I can pinpoint when it happened and likely what caused it. On my last 6 mile training run just before running the OUC Half, I decided to (stupidly) run on concrete rather than my normal asphalt. I see people ask all the time why runners decide to run on the road instead of perfectly good sidewalks. There are multiple reasons, but two that are usually my own are that sidewalks tend to have cracks which can be dangerous, especially at night, and concrete is so much harder than asphalt. It seems weird, but until you spend time walking/running on both,  you don't necessarily notice the difference.

The OUC Half came and went, but my heel definitely took a hit. It hasn't been the same since. I thought for a long time after the half that it was still PF. I ended up ordering some Oofos which are amazing flip flops and help even though I no longer think I have PF. It helped a little, but any time I ran, even if it was a measly 2 miles, my pain came back full force. Also, anytime I spend a lot of time on my feet, such as walking around Disney, the pain gets worse. It doesn't always hurt too much in the moment, but later in the day or the next morning, it gets bad. It started so bad that most days I would wake up in the morning and have to hop on one foot for a while before I could put any weight on it. It was not fun.

I've noticed since then that it seems to be getting "better," but that is a relative term. It is better in that anytime I walk (such as the 5k I walked with Kenzie... with maybe .5 miles running total and the 4 mile I walked entirely except the last .1 mile to the finish line), it hurts later in the day just a bit and the morning after. However, I can put weight on it now immediately so I'm not hopping around any longer. Other than that, it hurts off an on.

So, as much as it pains me, I have taken off all running for a couple of months now and I  know I'm going to have to continue to do so for at least the summer. I'm hoping that time off helps. We do have our final race of the season, a 10k in just a week and a half. I'm planning to walk all of that. Let me tell you, walking 6.2 miles is BORING.

So, now I feel like I'm in limbo. I would love to walk in place of running, but I find that even walking longer distances causes extra pain that I know is a sign that I'm not helping myself at all. I'm trying to find some alternate exercises to do. I did find a YouTube channel I like that has 10 minute to 1+ hour workouts that use nothing more than resistance bands, small weights, or body weight. I have done a few of those, but it's hard to get into it. It isn't what I want to do necessarily, so it's hard to find the drive to do it. I would love to swim some (short) laps... it's not a big pool, but the weather still isn't cooperating. I did get one night in the pool last week and I did quite a few laps. That felt good. I'm assuming that will be my plan over the summer. Get up early and instead of running, get in some laps. But for now, I have to find something else to do. It's just frustrating.

That was a whole lot of random thoughts that probably didn't make a ton of sense... but my mind can't entirely wrap itself around the fact that I have to take a break from running right now. I'm already worried about basically starting over again whenever I can start running. I'm also nervous about the fact that this could be a long term issue and I MAY have to seek medical advice at some point. If it had not yet gotten better, I would have seen a doc already, but it feels better most days so I haven't done that... yet.

I guess we will see how it all goes and I will reassess everything this summer. My plan for now is to take the summer off, run the Track Shack running series again next year (2020-21), and the run the Disney Princess Half Marathon in February 2021. I have to have some goals or I'm going to lose it.

I'm just frustrated. But I know I have to take this all one day at a time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks... Welcome to the Second Trimester!

Baby’s Size: Lemon How far along:  14 Weeks Total weight gain: 2 lbs and I am still okay with that. Sleep:  Pretty good. I can’t complain at this point. We were out of town last week so it wasn’t as good being that we weren’t home and in our own comfy bed, but overall it has been pretty good. Maternity Clothes:  Finally broke out the maternity shirts. Just one at this point and mainly so that my stomach wouldn’t stick out.  Food cravings:  Nothing really. I’m pretty boring when it comes to this. I was last time too…    Food aversions: Nothing other than those dumb burritos at this point.      Symptoms I HAVE: I’m feeling pretty good. Still some random nausea and I still get tired some afternoons. Exhausted, actually. Other than that though, it’s pretty good. Stretchmarks:  Still no new ones. The old ones are really light. I did notice that my c-section scar has been really dark this past week. I have no idea why. Doctor’s Appointment:  May 5 th . Still wai

A Day In the Life... Sheltered in Place Edition

Being home non-stop has made me want to start paying more attention to the blog again. Though, I think I am going to keep with only using this as a place to store memories mostly for myself and our family to read later. I guess I will continue to share the big things, like Will's 1/2 birthday post this week. We'll see. Anyway...  So this is not the first time I have done a "Day In The Life" style post, but this one is way different than our normal. I made a post about the whole Shelter In Place a couple of weeks ago. We have settled into a sort of schedule or routine so I wanted to document that for our own memories. One day we will back to running around like crazy people trying to get it all done, and I think it will be interesting to remember what life was life during our shelter in place time. This post is typical of our weekdays. Our weekends are less structured and more family time. During the week, we have distance learning and working going on so we k

Happy Fourth of July!!! (A Few Days Late...)

There is no way I was going to get around to posting this blog prior to now. It has been a crazy week or so since my birthday. I couldn't let the holiday pass (too much) without recapping it. =) I barely remember July 4th last year. I know that we didn't do anything. Kenzie was almost a year old, had a bed time that I didn't want to mess up, and we were afraid she might be scared of the fireworks so we sat at home, did our usual and went to bed while our neighbors were still lighting fireworks off. We spent the night playing every American's favorite game... "Firework or gunshot?" In our neck of the woods... you never can tell. Might be someone having a bit of target practice. Regardless, this year we decided to throw caution to the wind and attempt to enjoy some actual fireworks. Every year there is a big to do down at Lake Eola. We have been before (or at least gotten pretty close because we had some friends that lived downtown and we could see the