Skip to main content

13 Weeks to 13 Miles! OUC Orlando Half Marathon Training: Weeks 12 & 13

It's official! The homestretch. Race day in upon us.

Wednesday
Plan: 3 Miles, Actual: 3 Miles
This was a nice, easy run. I used to not want to do 3 miles as a normal, everyday style run. But here we are! I can do this in my sleep. It was nice weather and super easy. One thing I did notice though... some minor heel pain after my run. Hmmm... 

Friday
Plan: 3 Miles, Actual: 3 Miles
Another easy run. Again, some minor heel pain. I was wondering if it was mostly because I wasn't taping my foot figuring that since I was only going 3 miles, it wouldn't be needed. Looking back, I think I should have taped. The weather was nice this day and I got it done just before the sun came up. I kept my typical pace. It's definitely my happy pace and I'm still feeling good about that overall. I reading in the OUC participant guide that you just have to keep an overall 15 minutes or less pace in order to get your time. They said they could start removing the timing strips once that point has passed (and that is from the last person to cross the start line so technically I will get slightly more as long as I don't start at the very back). I am feeling confident that I can keep well under that. Even if I start to hurt or feel like I have an issue, I should be good.

Sunday
Plan: 6 Miles, Actual: 6 Miles
This is where I started to break down. This was supposed to be an easy 6 mile run. I was feeling good about it being shorter than what we have been doing on weekends. I set out and didn't feel 100%. I was hurting some and about 1.25 miles in I actually texted Steven to tell him I might only run 4-5 miles but I would see how I felt. At about 3 miles, I started feeling somewhat better so I figured I would keep shooting for 6 and see how it went. I ended up doing all 6 and felt pretty good at the end. 
Then I took a shower... and it all fell apart. My upper back started hurting really bad. It was the exact same pain I had just before this training started. The same pain that made me hold our very first run as part of training for an extra day. I was so worried. Also, my heel was definitely bothering me. Worse than the day before, but not so bad that I couldn't walk. I had taped during this run so I was hoping that would help. 

Sunday night I got out of bed to go to the bathroom and pretty much fell back into bed when I tried to put weight on my right heel. It was excruciating. I had to hold walls and the countertop to get into the bathroom. When I woke up Monday, it was just as bad. I felt devastated. This is our last week of training and here I am barely able to walk. I looked up taping for heel  pain (my prior taping was more for my achilles) and taped my heel. It started feeling somewhat better a little later in the morning but I think it was partially because of the tape compression and partially just from being up and moving around. I also made the executive decision then to skip this weeks two 3 mile runs. I felt that was better than trying to run just to get a few miles in and risking hurting my heel more. I'm going to rest my heel and my back this week an take OUC by storm on Saturday.

So, with that, that means that this is my last training update. How crazy! I will definitely be posting a recap of the race after Saturday. I'm so excited! Ready to check another box off on the running bucket list. 

Total Weekly Miles: 12
Total Training Miles: 161.94

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks... Welcome to the Second Trimester!

Baby’s Size: Lemon How far along:  14 Weeks Total weight gain: 2 lbs and I am still okay with that. Sleep:  Pretty good. I can’t complain at this point. We were out of town last week so it wasn’t as good being that we weren’t home and in our own comfy bed, but overall it has been pretty good. Maternity Clothes:  Finally broke out the maternity shirts. Just one at this point and mainly so that my stomach wouldn’t stick out.  Food cravings:  Nothing really. I’m pretty boring when it comes to this. I was last time too…    Food aversions: Nothing other than those dumb burritos at this point.      Symptoms I HAVE: I’m feeling pretty good. Still some random nausea and I still get tired some afternoons. Exhausted, actually. Other than that though, it’s pretty good. Stretchmarks:  Still no new ones. The old ones are really light. I did notice that my c-section scar has been really dark this past week. I have no idea why. Doctor’s Appointment:  May 5 th . Still wai

A Day In the Life... Sheltered in Place Edition

Being home non-stop has made me want to start paying more attention to the blog again. Though, I think I am going to keep with only using this as a place to store memories mostly for myself and our family to read later. I guess I will continue to share the big things, like Will's 1/2 birthday post this week. We'll see. Anyway...  So this is not the first time I have done a "Day In The Life" style post, but this one is way different than our normal. I made a post about the whole Shelter In Place a couple of weeks ago. We have settled into a sort of schedule or routine so I wanted to document that for our own memories. One day we will back to running around like crazy people trying to get it all done, and I think it will be interesting to remember what life was life during our shelter in place time. This post is typical of our weekdays. Our weekends are less structured and more family time. During the week, we have distance learning and working going on so we k

Happy Fourth of July!!! (A Few Days Late...)

There is no way I was going to get around to posting this blog prior to now. It has been a crazy week or so since my birthday. I couldn't let the holiday pass (too much) without recapping it. =) I barely remember July 4th last year. I know that we didn't do anything. Kenzie was almost a year old, had a bed time that I didn't want to mess up, and we were afraid she might be scared of the fireworks so we sat at home, did our usual and went to bed while our neighbors were still lighting fireworks off. We spent the night playing every American's favorite game... "Firework or gunshot?" In our neck of the woods... you never can tell. Might be someone having a bit of target practice. Regardless, this year we decided to throw caution to the wind and attempt to enjoy some actual fireworks. Every year there is a big to do down at Lake Eola. We have been before (or at least gotten pretty close because we had some friends that lived downtown and we could see the