Skip to main content

To Half... Or Not To Half?


13.1 Miles
21.0975 Kilometers
23,056 Yards (230.56 Football Fields)
69,168 Feet

A half-marathon is nothing to take lightly. And it seems like the time has come that Steven and I are considering actually running one. Back in April of last year we ran the Star Wars Dark Side 10k at Disney. Our first 10k. It was so much fun. I remember when we finished that we both had this thought that one day we might consider a half-marathon. Then we never really chatted about it again. A half-marathon is double a 10k... plus some. But once you catch a running bug, it's a hard one to shake. You keep wanting to push yourself a bit farther and see what your limits are. Now, while I don't think either of us will ever consider a full marathon, we are both toying with the idea of taking on a half.


This all started earlier this week when Steven noticed that Track Shack released the date for the OUC Half-Marathon which is a well known half in this area that runs though Orlando. He asked what I thought about it. Hm. Maybe this is something we can think about. We started talking about the training involved and realized that most half training programs are only about 10 - 12 weeks long and only have one long run a week. The other runs average closer to 5 miles during the week so that isn't too bad. Especially considering we are doing 4-5 miles during each run regardless in preparation for our 10k that is coming up next month. However, it occurred to us though that we didn't think we could both train at the same time. There just aren't enough hours in a day or enough days in a week for both of us to get out there and get the miles in.
So, it was determined that Steven may train for the OUC Half. But I think this is something I would like to try too. After some thought, I had an idea. This year I am returning for my third time to the Iron Girl Clearwater 5k and a chance to take on the bridge. This race also offers a half option though. And since Steven would be done with the OUC by December 2018, I could potentially start training in the new year for Iron Girl. One thing to remember... there are 3 bridges in the half marathon if they do not change the course. And it's an out-and-back... so you do each one twice. One within the final mile.


That's where we are for now. We have plenty of time to give it some more thought and make a final decision. We are leaning that way for now though. And before we have a chat about knees... there's this. I know it comes up a lot and want to put it out there. =)

Now it comes down to looking into all the other things that go into not only running a half, but training for one. Figuring out cross training ideas. Nutrition both as a change in diet potentially as well as what to eat during training runs and the race. New gear we may need. More shoes. Some sort of water bottle that can be carried or worn. Body Glide. For the love of Body Glide. Foam rolling.

We are excited with the prospect of stretching ourselves and setting new goals. Eek. We could be half-marathoners.If anyone has any tips for training or thoughts on either of those course (yes... I know I have more than one bridge to tackle than the 5k)... please share.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Doc is In!

Today we celebrated THREE with Kenzie! We had her official 3rd birthday party. She doesn't actually turn 3 until Thursday, but her birthday today with friends and family was a definite success. The most adorable Doc there is I admit, I'm a bit crazy. I start planning birthday parties months in advance. I have been planning Will's first for months already and his isn't for another 2 1/2 months. Anyway, Kenzie and I talked about it a few months ago and she elected to choose a Doc McStuffins themed birthday party this year. I will post another day about the decorations that I created for this party, but for now... a photo dump in honor of our little Doc turning 3. Our spread was pretty yummy, if I do say so myself. Everything from "Stuffy's Dragon Tails" (fruit kabobs) to "Squeakers Fishy Friends" (goldfish) and "An Apple a Day Keeps the Doc Away" (applesauce packets and cups). Will spent most of his tim...

New State Parks, Beaches, Movies, and Friend Time

Another weekend has been put in the books for the Young Household. This weekend was actually a bit less crazy than some of our others, I think but still filled with fun and some new things. We started Friday afternoon when Steven was able to come home an hour or so early. We started getting ready for our big Saturday plans and then made pizza and sat down to watch a movie. We love this Friday tradition. We try to do it at least a couple times a month. We used to order pizza but when we started watching our finances closer, we determined that it was better for us to make pizza either homemade or frozen (and the kids like frozen pizza as much as pizza from a restaurant right now so we will continue to capitalize on that for a while... Will loves homemade but Kenzie is in a current anti-homemade stage because she is weird). Anyway, we made a frozen pizza and some cheesy bread. Then we sat down together to watch Inside Out. We picked it up at the library last week and never had a chance ...

Young Summer of Fun - Bucket List Update (Week 12)

Honestly, I debated doing a weekly update for this week because we didn't actually check anything off the summer bucket list... but decided to go ahead and do it because we did do some fun stuff. Plus, there are only two more weeks of this (including this one) so anyone that is actually interested can read it if they want. =) This week was fairly low key. Steven was dealing with his shingles diagnosis so we didn't do anything too crazy because the main reason he likely came down with it was because he is so run down and stressed out. Kenzie had school all week. Well, except Monday but on Monday's, we dance. She did great at dance by the way! She goes to dance each week and then spends the next 6 days asking us if she has dance. We made her a calendar for the fridge that lists her activities and dance is on it. We cross off each day so she can count down to dance. Doesn't matter. She still asks. Wishful thinking, I guess. And she is still rocking school. She is doing...