Skip to main content

This is Seven... and-a-half


Today is Kenzie's half birthday! We kind of have a thing about half birthdays around here. We don't do anything major, but we like to mark their appearance because it is fun for the kids to know that they are officially halfway to their next birthday. It's a bit bittersweet for me though. As is the usual, here is a brief update on all things Kenzie.

- She is still really tall. She is somewhere around 53.5 inches or so. I honestly don't know for sure. They are so hard to measure on my own. It's about 2.5 inches taller than 6 months ago so I think that could be about right. Either way, most of her height remains in her legs.


- She is so amazing at math. Seriously, this kid got all her Daddy's math brains. Thankfully. Her teacher made the comment at parent teacher conference that she was so excited to see her best math student this year is a girl. She just figures out math problems super easily. She also loves it. She asks us to play math games with her or write math problems for her to do for fun. It's weird. She is also a great reader and has finally caught up in comprehension compared to her fluency. She has been fast for a while, but now she understands it too. Spelling is not her strong point. We are working on it. She has the best stories, but she still doesn't always spell well. Her content is great though.

- She loves being active. She has my old Garmin watch and is obsessed with her step count each day. Side note: She is often higher than me. Granted, her legs are shorter so her stride is shorter...but this girl moves. She uses her roller blades almost daily and is getting pretty good. She also loves to ride her bike and run. She is a really active kid and I think she appreciates our active lifestyle. She isn't one to sit still for too long. Wonder where she gets that? ;)


-  She is still really into dancing. She is well into her fifth year dancing and is doing really well. She is still not the most flexible, but we have reached the stage where it is still fun, but she also WANTS to get better at it. She has the urge to stretch at home and practice the skills she is learning. Her favorite right now is learning to pirouette. She has mastered going halfway and is almost at the point that she can do a full spin and stop with control. She is still working on that whole control thing.

- She is still a Girl Scout. She loves all the things related to being a Girl Scout. She is learning a lot and I am loving watching her leadership and social skills develop whenever we have events.


- She is at a crossroad deciding which activities she wants to do next year. We tell the kids they can do two activities outside of school. She has realized that this means she can still do other things within the school though and keep her outside of school activities (dance and Girl Scouts), as well. So, she is wanting to join running club if they have it next year and tryout for Performing Pups. She has also randomly talked about finding out about all the other clubs and activities she would be able to join once she is in third grade next year. She likes to do all the things.

- She is messy. I know people like to say boys are messy... but our kids are the opposite of what a lot of people say. I don't know if she is just "lazy" when it comes to cleaning up her room or picking up her things around the house or what. Her room is constantly in shambles unless we specifically tell her to clean it. At which point, she usually tries to argue. She will do what we ask, but it is often a fight. We are working on ways to make her more responsible for her things. We even charge her 25 cents per sock we find on the floor or not in the laundry or her sock container. I helped her clean her room yesterday, I made $2. I also cleaned out an entire full garbage bag of papers and other junk. It's crazy. At the same time, typically if you ask her for help doing something else, such as helping with laundry, unloading the dishwasher, or setting the table, she will do it without any argument. She just HATES to clean her room, pick up her junk around the house, and make her bed.


- She has the mind of an entrepeneur. She is constantly creating new ventures to sell us things. She seems like she is going to run some company one day. And if she does, it's likely to be one she created.

- She is still the most enthusiastic person I know. She even won the award for it this year at school. She approaches all things with enthusiasm and it's contagious. I love her zest for life.

That's Kenzie is a very small nutshell. There is so much more I could say about her... but we will save that for another time. She is a light in our lives and we are so excited to see what her next six months brings. With that, on to the countdown to eight. *Please hold while I go cry in the closet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

14 Weeks... Welcome to the Second Trimester!

Baby’s Size: Lemon How far along:  14 Weeks Total weight gain: 2 lbs and I am still okay with that. Sleep:  Pretty good. I can’t complain at this point. We were out of town last week so it wasn’t as good being that we weren’t home and in our own comfy bed, but overall it has been pretty good. Maternity Clothes:  Finally broke out the maternity shirts. Just one at this point and mainly so that my stomach wouldn’t stick out.  Food cravings:  Nothing really. I’m pretty boring when it comes to this. I was last time too…    Food aversions: Nothing other than those dumb burritos at this point.      Symptoms I HAVE: I’m feeling pretty good. Still some random nausea and I still get tired some afternoons. Exhausted, actually. Other than that though, it’s pretty good. Stretchmarks:  Still no new ones. The old ones are really light. I did notice that my c-section scar has been really dark this past week. I have no idea why. Doctor’s Appointment:  May 5 th . Still wai

A Day In the Life... Sheltered in Place Edition

Being home non-stop has made me want to start paying more attention to the blog again. Though, I think I am going to keep with only using this as a place to store memories mostly for myself and our family to read later. I guess I will continue to share the big things, like Will's 1/2 birthday post this week. We'll see. Anyway...  So this is not the first time I have done a "Day In The Life" style post, but this one is way different than our normal. I made a post about the whole Shelter In Place a couple of weeks ago. We have settled into a sort of schedule or routine so I wanted to document that for our own memories. One day we will back to running around like crazy people trying to get it all done, and I think it will be interesting to remember what life was life during our shelter in place time. This post is typical of our weekdays. Our weekends are less structured and more family time. During the week, we have distance learning and working going on so we k

Happy Fourth of July!!! (A Few Days Late...)

There is no way I was going to get around to posting this blog prior to now. It has been a crazy week or so since my birthday. I couldn't let the holiday pass (too much) without recapping it. =) I barely remember July 4th last year. I know that we didn't do anything. Kenzie was almost a year old, had a bed time that I didn't want to mess up, and we were afraid she might be scared of the fireworks so we sat at home, did our usual and went to bed while our neighbors were still lighting fireworks off. We spent the night playing every American's favorite game... "Firework or gunshot?" In our neck of the woods... you never can tell. Might be someone having a bit of target practice. Regardless, this year we decided to throw caution to the wind and attempt to enjoy some actual fireworks. Every year there is a big to do down at Lake Eola. We have been before (or at least gotten pretty close because we had some friends that lived downtown and we could see the