Skip to main content

This is Seven... and-a-half


Today is Kenzie's half birthday! We kind of have a thing about half birthdays around here. We don't do anything major, but we like to mark their appearance because it is fun for the kids to know that they are officially halfway to their next birthday. It's a bit bittersweet for me though. As is the usual, here is a brief update on all things Kenzie.

- She is still really tall. She is somewhere around 53.5 inches or so. I honestly don't know for sure. They are so hard to measure on my own. It's about 2.5 inches taller than 6 months ago so I think that could be about right. Either way, most of her height remains in her legs.


- She is so amazing at math. Seriously, this kid got all her Daddy's math brains. Thankfully. Her teacher made the comment at parent teacher conference that she was so excited to see her best math student this year is a girl. She just figures out math problems super easily. She also loves it. She asks us to play math games with her or write math problems for her to do for fun. It's weird. She is also a great reader and has finally caught up in comprehension compared to her fluency. She has been fast for a while, but now she understands it too. Spelling is not her strong point. We are working on it. She has the best stories, but she still doesn't always spell well. Her content is great though.

- She loves being active. She has my old Garmin watch and is obsessed with her step count each day. Side note: She is often higher than me. Granted, her legs are shorter so her stride is shorter...but this girl moves. She uses her roller blades almost daily and is getting pretty good. She also loves to ride her bike and run. She is a really active kid and I think she appreciates our active lifestyle. She isn't one to sit still for too long. Wonder where she gets that? ;)


-  She is still really into dancing. She is well into her fifth year dancing and is doing really well. She is still not the most flexible, but we have reached the stage where it is still fun, but she also WANTS to get better at it. She has the urge to stretch at home and practice the skills she is learning. Her favorite right now is learning to pirouette. She has mastered going halfway and is almost at the point that she can do a full spin and stop with control. She is still working on that whole control thing.

- She is still a Girl Scout. She loves all the things related to being a Girl Scout. She is learning a lot and I am loving watching her leadership and social skills develop whenever we have events.


- She is at a crossroad deciding which activities she wants to do next year. We tell the kids they can do two activities outside of school. She has realized that this means she can still do other things within the school though and keep her outside of school activities (dance and Girl Scouts), as well. So, she is wanting to join running club if they have it next year and tryout for Performing Pups. She has also randomly talked about finding out about all the other clubs and activities she would be able to join once she is in third grade next year. She likes to do all the things.

- She is messy. I know people like to say boys are messy... but our kids are the opposite of what a lot of people say. I don't know if she is just "lazy" when it comes to cleaning up her room or picking up her things around the house or what. Her room is constantly in shambles unless we specifically tell her to clean it. At which point, she usually tries to argue. She will do what we ask, but it is often a fight. We are working on ways to make her more responsible for her things. We even charge her 25 cents per sock we find on the floor or not in the laundry or her sock container. I helped her clean her room yesterday, I made $2. I also cleaned out an entire full garbage bag of papers and other junk. It's crazy. At the same time, typically if you ask her for help doing something else, such as helping with laundry, unloading the dishwasher, or setting the table, she will do it without any argument. She just HATES to clean her room, pick up her junk around the house, and make her bed.


- She has the mind of an entrepeneur. She is constantly creating new ventures to sell us things. She seems like she is going to run some company one day. And if she does, it's likely to be one she created.

- She is still the most enthusiastic person I know. She even won the award for it this year at school. She approaches all things with enthusiasm and it's contagious. I love her zest for life.

That's Kenzie is a very small nutshell. There is so much more I could say about her... but we will save that for another time. She is a light in our lives and we are so excited to see what her next six months brings. With that, on to the countdown to eight. *Please hold while I go cry in the closet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Doc is In!

Today we celebrated THREE with Kenzie! We had her official 3rd birthday party. She doesn't actually turn 3 until Thursday, but her birthday today with friends and family was a definite success. The most adorable Doc there is I admit, I'm a bit crazy. I start planning birthday parties months in advance. I have been planning Will's first for months already and his isn't for another 2 1/2 months. Anyway, Kenzie and I talked about it a few months ago and she elected to choose a Doc McStuffins themed birthday party this year. I will post another day about the decorations that I created for this party, but for now... a photo dump in honor of our little Doc turning 3. Our spread was pretty yummy, if I do say so myself. Everything from "Stuffy's Dragon Tails" (fruit kabobs) to "Squeakers Fishy Friends" (goldfish) and "An Apple a Day Keeps the Doc Away" (applesauce packets and cups). Will spent most of his tim...

New State Parks, Beaches, Movies, and Friend Time

Another weekend has been put in the books for the Young Household. This weekend was actually a bit less crazy than some of our others, I think but still filled with fun and some new things. We started Friday afternoon when Steven was able to come home an hour or so early. We started getting ready for our big Saturday plans and then made pizza and sat down to watch a movie. We love this Friday tradition. We try to do it at least a couple times a month. We used to order pizza but when we started watching our finances closer, we determined that it was better for us to make pizza either homemade or frozen (and the kids like frozen pizza as much as pizza from a restaurant right now so we will continue to capitalize on that for a while... Will loves homemade but Kenzie is in a current anti-homemade stage because she is weird). Anyway, we made a frozen pizza and some cheesy bread. Then we sat down together to watch Inside Out. We picked it up at the library last week and never had a chance ...

Young Summer of Fun - Bucket List Update (Week 12)

Honestly, I debated doing a weekly update for this week because we didn't actually check anything off the summer bucket list... but decided to go ahead and do it because we did do some fun stuff. Plus, there are only two more weeks of this (including this one) so anyone that is actually interested can read it if they want. =) This week was fairly low key. Steven was dealing with his shingles diagnosis so we didn't do anything too crazy because the main reason he likely came down with it was because he is so run down and stressed out. Kenzie had school all week. Well, except Monday but on Monday's, we dance. She did great at dance by the way! She goes to dance each week and then spends the next 6 days asking us if she has dance. We made her a calendar for the fridge that lists her activities and dance is on it. We cross off each day so she can count down to dance. Doesn't matter. She still asks. Wishful thinking, I guess. And she is still rocking school. She is doing...