Skip to main content

A Second A Day - January 2017

So we are officially one month into the new year. We have been working hard on our Second A Day project. Initially Steven seemed to think it was a bit silly. That was before we set it to music and it was longer than 10 seconds. Now, every day we put it all together and watch it a few times and just smile. We are loving doing this project. Seeing a full month come together has been awesome. To see an entire year come together is going to be so cool.

I think the hardest part of this challenge other than actually remembering to take a video every day, is thinking in a second at a time. I tend to take a lot of videos anyway but they are almost always of the kids. Our year long video is bound to be mostly kid related, but that doesn't mean it has to be everything. There are other things going on around here too that we might want to document. So, although I usually have at least one video a day that I could find a second worth of a clip to use for the video, sometimes we want something a bit different. And thinking in that second format is actually pretty difficult. If we are doing something that might work as a second or two long clip, I take a video and then at the end of the day, I choose the video that seems to work best as a second long clip and edit it down. Also, most of my videos border on 2 seconds so we are looking at just trying to keep the video for the entire year under 15-20 minutes at this point. Haha! It's mostly for us so we are going to be fine watching 15 minutes worth of our family over the course of a year. As far as the videos themselves, some videos do NOT work at all. Some are perfect. Some are okay and we just go with it because it's the best option we have. Either way, we are making it work and are really enjoying seeing it turn into a real video. Also, I'm coming to the realization that there are going to be some days that I cannot decide between 2 different videos. I'm debating the possibility of including both on just a few days but that takes away from the Second A Day thing... we will see how it turns out. As of right now, we have 1-2 seconds per day and 1 video each day. And we love it. Currently it ends sort of abruptly but I'm not going to worry about that until the end of the year when it needs an actual end. Once we are through our first song, we will change to include new songs along the way. I haven't chosen those yet. Also if/when I share it for each month through the year, I will likely not include the prior months so it will not be formally put together until the end of the year.

So with all of that being said...

Here is our January Second A Day video for anyone that might want to see some quick clips of what our family has been up to this month.

Enjoy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Young Summer of Fun - Bucket List Update (Week 12)

Honestly, I debated doing a weekly update for this week because we didn't actually check anything off the summer bucket list... but decided to go ahead and do it because we did do some fun stuff. Plus, there are only two more weeks of this (including this one) so anyone that is actually interested can read it if they want. =) This week was fairly low key. Steven was dealing with his shingles diagnosis so we didn't do anything too crazy because the main reason he likely came down with it was because he is so run down and stressed out. Kenzie had school all week. Well, except Monday but on Monday's, we dance. She did great at dance by the way! She goes to dance each week and then spends the next 6 days asking us if she has dance. We made her a calendar for the fridge that lists her activities and dance is on it. We cross off each day so she can count down to dance. Doesn't matter. She still asks. Wishful thinking, I guess. And she is still rocking school. She is doing...

Friday Favorites: Summer Bucket List Edition

This week's Friday Favorite isn't a product we love but rather our long anticipated (in our family) Summer Bucket List. This is something we have been doing for about 3 years running now. We sometimes keep a running bucket list of sorts for fall and spring too. We also always have an advent calendar of activities for the month of December. I think the summer list is my favorite though. Summer is a favorite season around this house. It means pool time, beach time, and a lot of other fun things that happen like Vacation Bible School and swimming lessons. This year we have a few new things and some oldie but goodies. Technically we have quite a bit of time until summer officially begins, but we are so excited for summer that we decided to make the list now. We also decide to start summer post Memorial Day so our activities will begin in about 6 weeks. We are super excited to have a few new things this year as well as keeping a couple of things that we didn't get around to ...

That's a Wrap on Summer Swimming Lessons

And with today's lesson, the kids have both officially finished swimming lessons for the summer. Will has actually been done for a while as he finished his 10 lessons prior to the break we took so the instructor could go on vacation. You can read about him HERE if you haven't yet and would like to. Today though, wrapped up Kenzie's 20th and final lesson of the summer. I wasn't going to recap her lessons this year, but I am so very proud of her and I just couldn't resist. Mainly so I could get some cute pictures and videos in there showing her amazing progress. Back at the beginning of the summer, Steven and I thought long and hard about how we wanted to go about lessons for Kenzie this year. Last year she did... okay. Just okay. She made a lot of progress, but we weren't sure about how she was going to do this year due to how much she cried last year. She didn't cry the entire time, but it was a lot and we wondered if it was too much for her to do...